Episode 2: Exploring Life through the Expression of the Body with Liz Koch
“The spine isn’t a column, it’s a living river”
Liz Koch (pronounced Cook) is a somatic educator and creator of ‘Core Awareness’. Her work is relevant to anyone interested in yoga, dance, pilates, birth, recovering from back pain and living a more embodied and creative life.
In this episode, we talked about:
- The disembodied language and education of the body
- What is embodiment?
- Paying attention to the intelligence of the system you have within you
- Our animal body/ being
- Why children need to move
- Exploring life through the expression of the body
- What happens when mammals don’t play
- Play and the Parasympathetic Nervous System
- Your Body is not an object. You are this transmission of life.
- Decolonising and deconstructing the compartmentalisation.
- Landing and locating- blossoming as a human being
- The psoas as the centre of your being
- A living systems model
- The psoas as a messenger of safety
- Feeling and expression
- Movement is the medicine
- The capacity to survive and thrive is through movement
- No-one has to teach you biological movement, it’s yours
- The fluidity of the system dries up through lack of movement
- Movement is always there, in the tissues, and organs.
- The sensory system is about pleasure
- All life is fluid-based
- The ankle joint and its importance for the psoas as a transitional joint
- The psoas in birth and motherhood
- Play and survival
- Why ‘go go go’ is a sympathetic response where healing doesn’t take place
- How to nourish yourself back into being
- Language of earth in the language of the body
Quotes: “We are here, but we have no sense of being here”
“Play is life”
“Movement is the medicine”
More about the psoas https://coreawareness.com/about/psoas/
Liz Koch’s new book, Stalking Wild Psoas: Embodying Your Core Intelligence: https://amzn.com/1623173159